Friday, February 1, 2008

Getting Here

Well, it's been a journey already just to get to this point. Obviously I didn't just wake up one morning and decide surgery would be a great thing to do to lose weight.
I've been overweight since my early teens. I've done just about every diet there is. Some have worked, some haven't. The most successful for me was always Weight Watchers. However, I've always gained whatever weight I've lost back, and more. I gained, and lost with each of my 3 pregnancies. After my last child was born I was able to lose some, but not much. Over the past 3 years I've managed to gain it all back. I am now as heavy as I was the day my youngest was born. This is my highest weight. 219#'s. It hurts me just to write that number. I can't believe I've let it get to this. All of my recent (past year) attempts at weight loss have failed. I've spoken with my doctor and she thinks that because I've yo-yo dieted so much in my life my body no longer is cooperating with my weight loss attempts. After speaking with a friend of mine, who had RNY last year, who is doing so well with it I decided to look into it more. I had been considering LapBand but now also started thinking about RNY. So I took the first step and called the surgeon's office and made an appt to attend their seminar. My friend was kind enough to come with me to the seminar for support, which was truly great. I learned alot about both LapBand and RNY and that night made my decision to go with RNY.
Ok, so I've made my decision...now what?
Well, it's not so simple. There is a whole process required to get to where I am now. I went and saw their nutritionist for a whole discussion on what to expect after surgery, how I eat now, things that will change after surgery and the vitamins and protein supplements I'll need to take the rest of my life. Next up, the psychological appt. I spoke with the psychologist and had to complete a lovely 300+ questionaire that assesses if I'm "sane" enough to make the decision to have this procedure. Ok, done. Lab work...lots of it. Done. Letter from my primary doctor. Done.
OK great, I'm feeling really good about this now. Wham! The surgeon's office calls and says my insurance changed their policy and now I have to prove 6 consecutive months of medically supervised weight loss attempt. Ok, now I'm a little worried. I know I've seen my primary doctor on a regular basis but can't remember if there are 6 consecutive months of visits. So after a few days of phone tag with them I get the good new that there are and they type up a paper for the insurance. Wonderful!
Now it's wait and see if I get approved. This feels like forever, when in reality it's only a week and a half. Then one glorious day the insurance lady at the office calls and says I've been approved! Yay!!!
So up next...I do a 3 hr pre-op class at the office with other patients scheduled for surgery. They mostly go over information already given and some new stuff. And they make sure you have no questions and know exactly what to expect during and after surgery. They also make sure all paperwork is in place for the hospital. Done. Great!
Now on this coming Monday, the 4th, I go to the hospital for pre-admission testing and finally on the 11th will be my surgery!!! WooHoo!!!
Can you tell I'm excited? I'm also getting nervous as the date gets closer. I'm not scared about the surgery, but more worried about if I'm going to be strong enough to do all that is required in the beginning after surgery. I think I will, but it is still a huge change in my life so of course I'm a bit apprehensive about it.
So that's my story so far. Check back for updates as my journey progesses. It has only just begun.

No comments: