Friday, February 15, 2008

Home from the hospital - UPDATE!

I'm back home after surgery. I'm happy to say the surgery itself and the hospital stay after were uneventful. Just the normal recovery pain, though I did get up and walk alot. Lots of gas pain, but I tend to get this anytime I have surgery so it was expected.
Now the eventful part...
I was discharged Wednesday and the weather here was pretty bad. Lots of rain, flooding and icy/slushy spots on the road. Well I live about an hour from the hospital and halfway home we hit an ice spot and got into a pretty bad accident. When we hit the ice patch hubby tried to get control of the minivan but there was a water tanker next to us that we ended up hitting. This spun us around, then the back of our van hit the tanker's tire which catapulted us across the snowy median and across 2 lanes southbound then into the guard rail where we finally stopped several feet from the road. All 3 kids were in the car and thank God no one was hurt. All the windows in the back of the car broke out, the passenger side is all banged up and neither of the sliding doors would open. It could have been alot worse, we could easily have flipped where the median was or there could have been oncoming traffic southbound. So someone was definitely watching out for us.
Two guys who saw the accident stopped and called 911, the cops were there within minutes, and the ambulance came fast too. The paramedics checked us all out, then took me back to the hospital just to be sure everything from the surgery was ok. The PA in the ER was going to do a CT scan but the surgeon came in and told her not to, then he admitted me for overnight observation even though everything looked ok. They did a urine sample to check for blood and check my H&H all night long to make sure I didn't have any internal bleeding. Hubby ended up having to take the kids to a hotel near the hospital for the night and in the morning my dad's girlfriend came to get us and bring us home.
I'm still sore from surgery but considering what could have been I'm not complaining. Right now I'm still sipping water, tea, broth, and having jello and sugar free italian ices. Right now I just started a no sugar added applesauce. So far so good.
Hubby has been great in taking care of the kids and house for me.
So that's my unexpected adventure.

No comments: